Hi there, I’m hoping for some advice. I was made redundant a couple of months back. During the consultation process, I finally got around to dealing with some tasks I had been meaning to do for ages, - including progressing ADHD diagnosis under private healthcare before it ran out (time ran out for the autism assessment). After some weeks, I received confirmation of my assessment, but there was some delay between the private provider (ProblemShared) and my GP with regard to agreeing on medication and shared care in principle. I then thought my next step would be to discuss with GP, who would manage discussions on prescription and medication etc. I waited a few weeks (3-4) and got to my appointment, but was told this was not the case. The GP in training said that the waiting lists were years, and essentially told me it was not worth progressing, but that my only real route forward would be to go back to private provider and essentially pay out of pocket.
I would be grateful if anyone can advise if this is the best/only route. I am a single parent, and now out of work, so finances may be stretched. But I am also aware that due to executive function issues (and especially procrastination) that moving forward with medication may make a big difference to my being able to progress in my future career and fid another role. I’m hoping I am posting in the right place, - I have tried reading up but these roadblocks have scuppered me, so I am keeping fingers crossed someone may be able to advise… thanks in advance
Hi, thanks for sharing this. Many others are in the same boat at the moment, and each ICB (Integrated Care Board) has its own guidelines; GPs can refuse shared care following a private diagnosis.
If you’re happy to clarify a couple of things, then hopefully answers can be specific to your local area guidelines.
Where are you based/ which ICB do you come under?
Did you go through with the assessment, and were you diagnosed? If this didn’t go ahead and you had, or were to have, the referral closed, then Right to Choose might be an option if you are based in England, which has shorter waitlists than the traditional NHS assessment pathway (but if you can share which ICB your location is based under, I can be more specific about what this could look like).
Below is some more information on Right to Choose if you are based in England.
I’m so sorry for delay in my reply. I was travelling when your message came in, - I gave it a quick read and said to myself that I must reply when I get home, and then promptly 1001 things happened. I’m very sorry.
If not too late to get advice: yes, I was diagnosed privately and I have the email assessment. The next steps were to be medication: there was some delays back and forth between problemshared and my gp: problemshared wanted an agreement in principle re shared care, and my gp didn’t understand the ask. It was very hard to try and get hold of a human at the gp surgery, - when I finally did, they promised they would speak to a gp with what had been asked, but then tumble-weeds. And then it was back to the beginning as they didn’t understand again. And then my private healthcare cover ran out, and AXA specified that they do not include neurodiversity elements if I wanted to extend privately.
I’m based in Poole, Dorset, so think I come under the Dorset NHS ICB?
Thanks re Right to Choose info: I will take a read of it. I think it confused me a bi as not sure if I would need to go through the diagnosis process again, or if they could use the one provately received?
Hi, that’s absolutely fine, and please don’t worry about delays in replies!
Yes that’s right, Poole comes under Dorset ICB. Because you are privately diagnosed, if you wanted to take the Right to Choose pathway, it would be based on being referred for titration only. The below shows national data for titration only.